Earl S. Youmans and his brother Addison B. Youmans were businessmen from New York who moved to the Midwast to take part in the rapid building and expansion taking place. They settled in Winona in the late 1800s and established a lumber company (Youmans Brothers and Hodgkins). The family was civic minded and helped build local landmarks such as Winona Opera House and Guild Hall at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.
The mausoleum was completed in 1889 and contained 9 crypts inside with other family members being buried on each side of the building. The building material used for was granite from Westerly Rhode Island and marble. Stained glass windows were installed on two sides. The mausoleum stands on the first terrace along the main road of Woodlawn Cemetery.Read More