In 1864, this area in the cemetery grounds was originally designated for Single Burial Grounds also known as Potters’ Field. This section in the cemetery was for families needing only one burial lot. Some 1200 people were buried here between approximately 1864 and 1939.
Stephen Taylor served under George Washington in the War of America’s Freedom. The only Revolutionary War soldier buried in the state of Minnesota.
More than 150 attended a funeral service for Baby Angel. A new born girl found dead in the Mississippi River on Saturday, April 7, 2012 in Winona. Investigators continue to pursue this case to this date but have no active leads.
Section P, Lot 25
Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. He served as a First Sergeant in the Union Army.
E. D. Williams
Section P, Lots 9-16
A worthy memorial to the good deeds of a good man, Ezekiel D. Williams, Founder of Woodlawn Cemetery Association, was born 1809 in the town of Thomaston, Maine, Died in Winona, Minnesota on Oct. 30, 1872.
Section R, Lot 121
John Latsch had given several recreation areas within Winona including Perrot and Merrick Parks and many miles of Mississippi River shores to the public for future generations to enjoy.
Section G, Lot 91
Our records show John Lowe was first person buried in Woodlawn Cemetery after the grounds were officially designated as a burial ground. He was interned in the Autumn of 1862.
Section I, Lots 89 & 90
In 1902 a large vault was being erected on the J. R. Watkins lot. The total weight of 128,000 pounds of granite was transported from Chicago for this project. The main floor of the vault looks like a little chapel, with handsome stained glass at the south end of structure.
Back in 1884, The officers of the Cemetery Association felt a new receiving vault chapel would enhance the cemetery property. In 2016 the Board of Directors of Woodlawn Cemetery saw the need for more above ground niches. They elected to re-purpose the vault chapel into a public mausoleum. Presently, the mausoleum holds 182 niches inside with capability of adding an additional 200 niches once the final phase has been completed.
Tree of Life sculpture
Features animals and human figures in the roots of branches of the tree by American acclaimed artist and sculptor, Robert Cook.
Image of the two faces
These figures were originally located on the concrete walls underneath the bridge leading into Potters’ Field. It is believed the figures were to prevent negative forces from entering the area.